Wednesday, May 2, 2012

A BEAUTIFUL JOURNEY





I've done some really exciting jobs this year but this may be the fave commission of 2012 so far. I was asked by the super talented guys at Thursday Design to create an image that worked across a poster, brochure and print advertising for Maine Recycled Paper. They asked for a beautiful girl on a bike with some flowers and a vintage poster feel. Thursday also suggested I have a crack at the typography. Um gee ok I guess, if I have to!
I started gathering my reference material and had to sit through several unfortunate hours googling "girls on bikes". The Audrey Hepburn shots were a great starting point. Here's some of the reference I used (The Zoe Deschanel one is well...just because).






I also went back to some of my favourite Cassandre posters and some other vintage cycling posters in search of typographic inspiration.






Initial roughs were still looking for the right angle for the girl but we all agreed the more heroic perspective worked best so I went to work refining this. The guys at Thursday had also found an old junk bike that they were rebirthing as part of a "beautiful journey" whilst documenting the whole thing for the Maine brochure so I had to match my illo to that particular bike in the final.































I sent a further refined version including the typography for the client, we got the go ahead and I worked up a couple of colour-ways. In the final stages I also shifted the flowers to her hands so it didn't look like she had ridden over them. 








I decided not to present all the colour options and just go for my fave because the clock was ticking. I ended up pulling an all-nighter to get it over the line as the client was flying into Sydney to visit the designers and check out the progress of the job. Thursday reported back that the client was ecstatic and we all walked away a little bit tired but with a big crush on our Maine Girl. 




4 comments:

  1. Hey Chris, thanks for the sneak peek into your process, dude. Excellent as always.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers Nate, hope life's treating you great!

    ReplyDelete