Monday, September 5, 2011

KEEF

I'm not super keen on doing portraits, likenesses etc. Early on in my career I was burnt by a corporate client who commissioned me to do someone in the office. They not only possessed a huge nose but a slightly distorted personal image and became irate about the reasonably accurate results. I decided then and there that perhaps this particular pathway was not for me and I've been portrait gun-shy ever since. 
Every now and then however I'm asked do someone and if I'm familiar enough with them I give it a shot. Inside Sport had a column for me about how footballers are fined for bad behaviour but Keith Richards is heralded for it. I've been studying his craggy mug for probably over 20 years so I went with the portrait angle.
I've been a lifelong Stones fan. All the albums, biographies, live recordings, studio bootlegs, I have them. Keef the guitarist I love deeply. Keef the man, not so much. Probably something to do with his knife brandishing bravado or his nodding off on smack with his son in the car and crashing or abandoning wives and babies or his faux-rasta mysticism etc. Gifted musician, flawed individual. But that's ok, I'm a flawed portrait artist. It's only rock and roll (not football) and we like it.



No comments:

Post a Comment