Friday, January 14, 2011

WHAT THE HEY?

I've been looking at a lot of far out, completely insane vintage book illustrations.



Usually I'm looking at these images completely out of context from any meaning that may be connected to them and as a result I have no idea of what most of them are about. But that's the really cool bit. The first thing I find myself doing is trying to piece together some understanding of what's happening in these crazy pictures. They force me to become an author.




In my own personal work I find myself wanting to create images which do the same thing. I want people to look at them and go "What the hell's going on here?". Because trying to understand is a lot more interesting than actually understanding sometimes.
I want to kick start that little process where the onlooker begins to invent their own narrative rather than have it prescribed to them. I guess trying to make things clear to the onlooker is a part of my day job so there's an attraction towards letting go of that altogether when I'm off the clock.



So in the name of discombobulation here are a few recent canvases. Let me know what you come up with.



Vice Versa.


G Man.

No comments:

Post a Comment